Volunteer anglers needed around the state for MDC Discover Nature — Fishing Program.
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Fishing is a great way for kids and families to have fun outdoors, discover nature, and make happy memories together. For more than a million anglers,
The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) needs experienced anglers from all around the state to help others learn to fish through its free Discover Nature — Fishing Program. The statewide program provides a series of four separate lessons to help kids and families gain skills and confidence to go fishing on their own. Each of the four, two-hour lessons is followed by hands-on fishing for participants to put their newly learned skills to work. Equipment and bait is provided for participant use. Class size is limited and classes are offered throughout the fishing season from April through October.
- Lesson One: Equipment, Casting, and Proper Fish Handling
- Lesson Two: How to Rig a Pole and Bait a Hook
- Lesson Three: Aquatic Biology, Ecology, and Conservation
- Lesson Four: Fishing with Lures
Volunteers can teach a single lesson or multiple lessons and training will be provided. The Conservation Department encourages experienced anglers interested in volunteering, and interested participants, to contact the following MDC Fisheries staff for more information on opportunities in their areas.
- Northwest Region: Eric Dennis at 816-271-3111 x1433, or Eric.Dennis@mdc.mo.gov
- Northeast Region: Travis Moore at 573-248-2530 x6385, or Travis.Moore@mdc.mo.gov
- Kansas City Region: Bob Mattucks at 816-525-0300 x1241, or Bob.Mattucks@mdc.mo.gov
- Central Region: Brian McKeage at 573-815-7901 x3397, or Brian.McKeage@mdc.mo.gov
- St. Louis Region: Denise Otto at 573-468-3335 x6603, or Denise.Otto@mdc.mo.gov
- Southwest Region: Dave Woods at 417-895-6881 x1623, or Dave.Woods@mdc.mo.gov
- Ozark Region: Mary Scott at 417-255-9561 x276, or Mary.Scott@mdc.mo.gov
- Southeast Region: Salvador Mondragon at 573-290-5858 x4433, orSalvador.Mongragon@mdc.mo.gov
For more information on MDC’s Discover Nature — Fishing Program, go online tomdc.mo.gov/node/27175.